How to get here
- 7 miles west of the University
- Bus service to the west end of Glasgow which stops minutes from the University
- Taxi fare to West End costs approximately £20
- Direct flight connections to all major European hubs
- Information here.
Glasgow Prestwick Airport
- 22 miles south west of the University
- Own rail station
- Bus service to city centre
- Information here.
Edinburgh International Airport
- 42 miles east of the University
- 48-minute train ride to Glasgow Queen St (depart every 15 minutes during peak hours from Edinburg Waverley)
- 60-min bus ride to GlasgowQueen St (direct from airport. Information here)
Buchanan Bus Station is the main terminus for long distance coaches. Timetables at: www.travelinescotland.com
Intercity links to all major cities. Frequent services to Edinburgh (50 minutes) and London (5 hours). There are two city-centre terminals, Glasgow Queen Street and Glasgow Central (served by Buchanan St and St Enoch subway stations respectively). Timetables at www.travelinescotland.com
Motorway links provide access to major UK cities. Visit Transport Direct for maps and directions.
From Carlisle, Newcastle and the south, exit M74 on to the M73, joining the M8 at the Old Monkland junction. M8 exits for the University are J18 if travelling from the south, Edinburgh and the north and J19 if coming from Glasgow Airport and the west. Other main routes serving the University include Great Western Road (A82, north of campus), Clydeside Expressway (A814, south) and Byres Road (B808, west). Car parking on the University campus and surrounding area is extremely difficult.
- Routes 4 and 4A run through the main campus from the city centre.
- Other routes serve Dumbarton Road, Great Western Road and Byres Road.
- A seasonal tourist bus stops at the University.
- The main station for the University is Hillhead.
- Kelvinhall and Kelvinbridge stations are more convenient for some locations.
- Subway map [PDF]
- More information on travel by subway and ticketing options.
The nearest suburban rail station is Partick, about one mile west of the University. It has an interchange with the subway and with bus services on Dumbarton Road.
Black taxi cabs can be picked up at most times in the University area and the city centre. You can also phone for a black taxi cab on 0141 429 7070.
We have a number of places to park bicycles across campus. If you want to find out more about locations of cycle parking facilities, showers, bus stops, gates and car parking areas on our main campus, you can consult our University of Glasgow Active Travel Map.